Once the food we eat is broken down and metabolized, acidic or alkaline elements will predominate. Foods high in carbonic acid, sulphuric acids, iodine and chlorine are considered acid forming. While foods that have calcium, iron, potassium, sodium and magnesium are alkali forming. Neutral foods are those foods which least affect the pH of blood and this group suits both chemical body chemistry. Therefore food groups are:
- ALKALINE FOOD GROUP
- NEUTRAL FOOD GROUP
- ACIDIC FOOD GROUP
This food classification is based on the food’s chemical and physiological effects on the body.
Chemical effects are detectable by routine Laboratory tests on urine, blood and on other body secretions but Physiological food effects are detectable at the level of skin, muscles, body hair, joints, physical stamina, emotions and spirituality as well.
1- ALKALINE FOOD GROUP
- FRUITS: Banana, guava, water melon, melon, pear, custard apple, leechi, garma
- NUTS: Almonds, cashews, Seeds
Excess of alkaline foods make us sleepy, lethargic and mental fogginess develops. Alkaline foods cause water retention and slowing of metabolic rate which leads to bloating of body, weight gain, obesity and low immunity
2- NEUTRAL FOOD GROUP
- FRUITS: Mango, grapes, apricots, papaya, dates, figs, raisins
3-ACIDIC FOOD GROUP
- FRUITS: Orange, apple, plums, peach, coconut, straw berry, cherry, grapefruit, jamun, falsa, parmasen or Japanese fruit, pomegranate
- NUTS: Peanuts, walnuts, pine nuts, pistachio
Excessive acidity caused by excess of acidic foods can breed yeast and virus growth, stimulates tumor growth, disturbs the mineral balance i.e. low calcium and causes general fatigue and pains.